- Side-by-side UTVs provide the ultimate off-road experience for recreation, hunting, and ranch work
- Engine size, suspension, and additional features are crucial factors to consider when choosing the right UTV
- Electric UTV options are gaining popularity for their eco-friendly and low-maintenance benefits
- Understanding UTVs: The Basics
UTVs: The Essential Features
When choosing a side-by-side UTV, consider engine size, suspension, and other features to ensure you’re getting the best vehicle for your needs. Turbochargers can enhance smaller engines, while larger displacement generally results in more horsepower. Suspension systems should provide flexibility and balance for off-road terrain, and additional features like a safety roll cage, four-wheel drive, and ample cargo space can further enhance your UTV experience.
Top 17 Side-by-Side UTVs of 2023
- Can-Am Maverick X3 X RC Turbo RR 72: This adrenaline-inducing UTV is perfect for thrill-seekers with its 200-horsepower Rotax ACE Turbo RR engine and multiple versions designed for specific terrains.
- Polaris RZR XP 1000 Sport: Completely redesigned for improved durability, comfort, and performance, this best-selling sport side-by-side offers a ProStar 1000 Gen 2 engine and Polaris’s fast engaging on-demand All Wheel Drive system.
- Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 eS: Packed with cutting-edge features like shift-on-the-fly electronic four-wheel drive, a locking front differential, and electronically controlled suspension, this UTV offers riders ultimate control.
- Can-Am Maverick X3 MAX DS Turbo 64: The four-seater Maverick X3 MAX DS Turbo 64 brings family and friends along for the ride with its 135-horsepower Rotax ACE 900cc turbocharged engine and advanced technology for optimizing power and throttle response.
- ZForce 950 H.O. Sport: The budget-friendly ZForce 950 H.O. Sport from CFMOTO is a capable off-roader with its 90-horsepower, four-stroke 963cc V-twin engine and advanced Quadlink rear suspension.
- Polaris RZR Pro R Ultimate: This premium side-by-side UTV features an all-new chassis, a ProStar Fury 2.0-liter engine, and Dynamix DV advanced suspension control with multiple modes for unmatched performance and versatility.
- Hisun Strike 1000R: The affordable Hisun Strike 1000R offers solid performance with its four-stroke 976cc V-twin motor, CVT with two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive modes, and locking rear differential.
- Polaris Ranger XP Kinetic Premium: This electric workhorse provides 110 horsepower and 140 pounds of torque, offering an eco-friendly and low-maintenance option for those needing a reliable UTV for ranch work.
- Segway Villain SX10 WX (72”): Segway’s high-tech UTV boasts a 1000cc, four-stroke, twin-cylinder DOHC engine, double A-arm suspension with 16 inches of travel up front, and a multi-link arm suspension with 18 inches of travel in the rear.
- Yamaha YXZ1000R SS XT-R: This stylish side-by-side UTV stands out with its factory-installed Warn winch, 998cc inline-triple engine, and exclusive manual transmission with paddle shifters, providing an unparalleled off-road experience.
- Honda Talon 1000X-4: With a 999cc liquid-cooled twin-cylinder engine, Honda’s four-seater UTV offers exceptional handling and performance, including an innovative Dual Clutch Transmission for smooth shifting.
- Arctic Cat Wildcat XX: The Wildcat XX is a sturdy and powerful option, featuring a 998cc naturally aspirated engine, an off-road race-inspired suspension with 18 inches of travel, and a full-perimeter exoskeleton for added protection.
- Can-Am Defender Limited: Built for work and play, the Defender Limited boasts a 976cc Rotax V-twin engine, a heavy-duty off-road suspension, and an array of features like a GPS navigation system, air conditioning, and a premium sound system for ultimate comfort.
- Kubota RTV-X1120D: Designed for heavy-duty applications, the diesel-powered Kubota RTV-X1120D is equipped with a three-cylinder, 24.8-horsepower engine, a hydraulic lift bed, and a Variable Hydro Transmission for seamless acceleration.
- John Deere Gator XUV865M: This versatile and reliable workhorse features a three-cylinder, 23-horsepower diesel engine, an 11-inch ground clearance, and an optional cab with heating and air conditioning for year-round use.
- Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 1000 Limited Edition: This luxurious four-seater UTV offers a 999cc parallel-twin engine, advanced Fox iQS suspension, and a stylish interior with premium materials and technology features like built-in GPS and a premium sound system.
- Textron Off-Road Havoc X: The Havoc X delivers both power and comfort with its 100-horsepower, 957cc engine, an extended cab, and a suspension system featuring King shocks with 12.8 inches of travel up front and 12.9 inches of travel in the rear.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Your UTV
When selecting a side-by-side UTV, consider the following factors to ensure you get the perfect vehicle for your needs:
- Engine size and performance: Think about the intended use of the UTV and the power you need for your specific activities.
- Seating capacity: Determine if you need a two-seater, four-seater, or even a six-seater, depending on the number of passengers you plan to have.
- Cargo space: Look for UTVs with ample storage and cargo space to accommodate any gear or equipment you may need to carry.
- Suspension and handling: Consider how important a smooth and comfortable ride is to you, and prioritize UTVs with advanced suspension systems.
- Additional features: Some UTVs offer luxury amenities like GPS, premium sound systems, and heated seats, so consider what features you would like to have on your vehicle.
The perfect side-by-side UTV is out there for everyone, whether you’re looking for an adrenaline-pumping off-roader, a reliable workhorse, or a versatile family adventure vehicle. With so many options available, it’s essential to consider your specific needs, preferences, and budget before making your decision. Happy trails!